Teach me your way, O Lord, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name. Psalm 86:11
What is an undivided heart? (Read Jeremiah 32:39)
- a heart that is focused solely on God and what He desires for us is His best
- it is given to us by God so that we would have singleness of purpose in our lives and that we would fear Him
- in the context of Jeremiah 32, we see the Lord lamenting over the people of Israel and Judah because of their gross disobedience in making and worshipping idols; they did not respond to discipline; YET God still promised to give them singleness of heart and action so that they would fear Him and for their own good and the good of their children
What keeps us from having an undivided heart?
- stuff (money, material possessions, having the best of whatever)
- idols (TV, sports, shopping, whatever we choose that dominates our time)
- selfishness (time, money, success, power, greed)
- relationships (family, friends, significant others)
How can we make sure that we have an undivided heart that fears the Lord?
- Put our priorities in order (Matthew 22:37ff - the Greatest Commandment)
- Position our minds on things above (Colossians 3:1-2; 5-10)
- Pursue being more like Him through the daily choices we make (Philippians 1:9)
- Practice these things as we grow in Him and minister to others (Philippians 4:8-9)