Not only so, but we also rejoice in, our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us. Romans 5:3-5
We are fully equipped to persevere! God has poured out His love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit! He also uses perseverance in our lives to produce character in us.
What does it look like to persevere in our faith? Perseverance means we keep on going on in our Christian walk even during times of suffering. In 1 Peter 4:7-11 we see several ways we can continue to persevere, live our lives for Him and watch Him develop our character.
- Be clear minded and self-controlled so you can pray (vs 7)
- Love each other deeply (vs 8)
- Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling (vs 9)
- Use the gifts God has given you to serve one another (vs 10)
- Administer God’s grace to others in its various forms (vs 10)
- Speak God’s truth (vs 11)
- Serve in God’s strength (vs 11)
- Praise God in all things – remember the attitude of perseverance is joy (vs 11)