May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
As I was driving into my office this morning, I noticed that the creek I pass over was overflowing its' banks due to a recent rain storm. I couldn't help but wonder what it would be like to be overflowing with hope as referenced in Romans 15:13. Paul exhorted the Romans that the God of hope would fill them with joy and peace so that they could overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.
Can you imagine what it would be like to exude the hope of Christ in your life? The word overflow means to be filled beyond capacity and to flow over the top!
Practically speaking, it may look something like the following:
- Notes of encouragement that promote the hope that only Christ provides
- Smiling and speaking words that are seasoned with grace
- Praying for those who are struggling
- Visiting and sharing Scripture with those who are housebound
- Making a meal for someone who is ill or laid up from surgery
- Sharing the Gospel with those who have never heard
- Acts of kindness toward family, friends, neighbors, co-workers and those we minister to each day
Let's not forget that the power behind us brimming with the hope of Christ is the Holy Spirit! It is in His strength that we can do everything that He has called us to do.
Take a moment to think of a practical way that others might see the hope of Christ in your life, and then do it!