The Source Of Our Strength

But blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in him. He will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit.  Jeremiah 17:7-8

Did you know that a tree absorbs moisture through its roots and supplies water to its leaves? It sounds like something we should have learned in school, but did you also realize that once the water reaches the leaves, 90% of it evaporates into the environment. So where does the other 10% go to? The remaining water keeps the tree alive even on a really hot day!

In Jeremiah 17:7-8, the Lord said that whoever places their trust and confidence in Him is like that tree able to absorb water to maintain the life of the tree even in the midst of dry and arid conditions.

It can be so difficult for us to lean on the Lord as the source of our strength. In the midst of ministry, our tendency might be to want to take the place of the true living water and be self-sufficient, especially when we think things are going well. But, when things hit a dry spell, we seem to crumble and despair because we are getting our strength from the wrong source.

That is why it is so crucial to rest in the Lord – He gives us our physical, emotional, mental and especially our spiritual strength to be able to go the distance as we minister and care for others.

The next time you water a plant or tree may you be reminded of the True Source of your strength!